l o v e l y t h i n g s



5.23.2011

House exterior - before and after

This is our house today...see below to see the before photos.  We live in a beach community where the homes were built in the late 1960's early 70's.  It was hard to make sense of the house as it was...but there are times when I think we could have gone a little less drastic with change.  The good thing about the development being built in the late 1960's is that open space was considered and therefore we have walking paths and greenbelts through the entire neighborhood which consists of just under 1,000 homes.  There's a community center, a pool, tennis courts, park and the best part...beach parking and beach access with a bluff top park looking over the most beautiful stretch of beach. 

The window in the center was where the third car garage once was.  The garage still has the space of a three car, but this area of the garage is now used a a hang out spot for Patrick and his friends.  The house came with flat screen televisions in every room.  It was hideous on the outside, but was used  a second home for a family from LA...who apparently watched a lot of television.  Perfect...we now have a large flat screen in the garage, a ping pong table and stacks of beach towels.


The front entrance of the house was actually pushed out so the entry way inside is larger, but the walkway still has plenty of space.  When we first started the plans we were going to use stone...then we changed to brick.  I wanted to use exposed brick painted white inside the house and it only made sense to use it outside as well.   It's timeless and we love the herringbone pattern.

The outside lighting is from Bevolo.  Being this close to the ocean, only real copper will stand the test of time.
I would have loved to move that heater for this shot....but it does come in handy on most nights in California...even in the middle of summer I keep a stack of Pashmina shawls when we dine outside.

We kept the back doors, all three sets.  They were relatively new...What I didn't like about them were the sidelights.  It was easy enough to cover those and we saved quite a bit of $$.  It also allowed us to add a built in bench in the kitchen eating nook.
Before...this was October 2010.

Could not wait to change these doors!

The only thing I regret about any changes back here...losing all the rose bushes. 

The blank area above to the right was pushed out and now is a walk in closet on one side and an office on the right. The family room is larger on the first floor and it provides flow into the living room. 

30 comments:

  1. stunning! oh my goodness what a beautiful transformation. Love the new door;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie! So pretty. Wow! Can I move in? I would never look at the original house and think it could turn into what you have turned it into! Love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous home you have! It reminds me of a cross between Nantucket and Newport Beach...very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it Annie...it's stunning! Love the lighting too - am going to check Bevolo out. Thanks for sharing, what a great post :))

    Have a fabulous week
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow,what a tranformation! You created a beautiful home. I love before & afters. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks fabulous, Annie. I love the new front door and your copper lights. Much improved! gxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Annie your home has many features from the Craftsman style of homes...and I do so love the Arts and Crafts period.
    Your home looks lovely, warm and inviting.
    I hope that you are very pleased...I know that I would be happy too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did such a fabulous job...love it all! Great beachy feel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Annie:
    You have so clearly put a great deal of time, thought and effort into making your house exactly as you want it and must, we are certain, be very pleased with the finished result. And to be so close to the sea must be a joy, particularly in the climate which we believe you to have.

    Now for people without a television for the last thirty years, the thought of a flat screen in every room is somewhat amazing. Could we cope?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your remodel is one of the best I have seen. I remember seeing it (some of it) when you first started blogging and I was so impressed. It is flawless. The before and after photos are quite dramatic. I'm so glad that you shared it. Now show us more of the interior ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your house is gorgeous!! I love all the details - the brick, windows and the fixtures!! Absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my gosh annie! it's beautiful! when can i come visit? hehe. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful!!!! I love everything you did!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i LOVE the exterior. just perfect
    Dallas
    http://dillydallas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Annie, it is gorgeous!!! LOVE it so much! I added you to my blogroll today! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow!! What a beautiful transformation! I love the siding. And where did you find that front door?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Your transformation blows me away, it is absolutely gorgeous. I can't even believe that is the same house.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Annie! Wow! Amazing:) Love your home! Please more, more, more interior pictures! Im dreaming, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow. What a transformation! It is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Annie, I just found your blog and love it! I especially love what you did with your house. Very inspiring. I am also in the middle of a large remodel and will be moving on to the exterior in the near future which includes converting the garage and completely changing the facade of the house. I will be sure to dig in to what you did with your amazing place!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Annie, I love every juicy detail!! Everything is gorgeous! And those lights are beautiful. Is your front door wood? I love the look of a painted front door but I'm afraid to paint ours since it will be more upkeep. Back to look at the pictures again.

    Londen

    ReplyDelete
  22. That makeover is amazing. I really love the style you chose. I really like the half door that you put on... so charming and full of personality. Congratulations on your redo!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks amazing!! What a change! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  24. you're home is gorgeous. the whole transformation needs to be featured in a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful change from ho-hum blah to drop-dead gorgeous. I love everything - the shingles, the harmonious roof lines, the little awning window on the second floor, the basket weave brick, the dutch door, even the garage door!
    (I found your delightful blog from the gardener's cottage.)
    ~ skye

    ReplyDelete
  26. What an amazing transformation, your awesome front door, your window styles, and your exterior shingle choice, I just love, love it all! I am in the process of a big remodel, as you have seen from my blog recently, adding 1,000 square feet to an existing 1938 beach cottage. So many choices to make every day. I would love to see in future posts your bathrooms as that is something I need to start deciding on for my house! Also, where did you get your front door? Thanks! Looking forward to seeing more of your interior transformations too:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your house is beautiful! I love everything about it- the shakes, the rooflines, the brick, the columns and trim and most of all your dutch door! And your red geraniums. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Annie, what an amazing job!

    I am trying to guess where you are! It's gotta be Newport Beach...but I can't really think where there are that many community centers, pools etc.

    Oh well love everything you have done!

    xo kelley

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am in complete awe. You've literally created my dream house. Beautiful does not even begin to describe...

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a beautiful home you have, and such a transformation! I just discovered your blog via Cottage & Vine (dining room party) ... can't wait to explore it.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete